Saturday, February 05, 2005

The Best of the 1990s: The Overlooked Films

Seeing as how I barely have time, or the inclination, to keep up with my postcard reviews, I'm frankly a little proud that I managed to put together a top 100 list (plus 10) of what I rate the best films of the 1990s.

Why the 1990s? Put simply, it's the only decade I've thoroughly experienced cinematically. My girlfriend recently joined me on a quest to see the "classics" of film, but it's going to be some time before I consider myself worthy to even talk about the oldies. So, I'll just start with the 1990s. Kay?

I begin outside of the top 100 even, with my 10 most overlooked films of the 1990s. These are movies that didn't crack my top 100, and haven't really gotten as much attention as I think they deserve. They're all good films, usually low-budget, poorly promoted films, but there are a couple of exceptions. These aren't really #s 101 through 110 on my list. They're films that just aren't talked about as much as they should be.


THE APOSTLE
Director: Robert Duvall
Robert Duvall is a great character actor. Perhaps the best ever. There are few films where an actor so fully embodies their character as this one.

COOKIE'S FORTUNE
Director: Robert Altman
I think this is a great little film, fun and funny, well acted and uplifting. Charles Dutton gives an excellent performance.

THE WINSLOW BOY
Director: David Mamet
I never would imagine that an English period story about a boy who may have stolen 5 pounds could work. It did work, and worked well.

OCTOBER SKY
Director: Joe Johnson
This is as sweet and reaffirming as stories can get. It's a little movie about not particularly exciting people.

MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL
Director: Clint Eastwood
Pure fun. Characters so off the wall and entrancing, you can't help but want to head down to old timie Savannah.

LA STORY
Director: Mik Jackson
A really sweet and unusual comedy. Perhaps Steve Martin's best film work.

THE STRAIGHT STORY
Director: David Lynch
Like The Winslow Boy, this is another story I never thought could work. David Lynch, the king of weird dreamscapes gives us the simple story of an old guy and his lawnmower.

AFFLICTION
Director: Paul Schrader
One of those good movies you don't think about for long as you should. Really good performances by James Coburne and Nick Nolte.

A CIVIL ACTION
Director: Steven Zaillian
Maybe not really overlooked (big budget and all) but I liked this film a lot. John Travolta is a movie star, and this legal drama shows us why.

RAVENOUS
Director: Antonia Bird
I loved this gory yet hilarious romp. Banjos and cannibals. Shit yeah.

11/21/2005

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home