Tuesday, January 25, 2005

BROKEN FLOWERS


Director: Jim Jarmusch (Stranger than Paradise, Mystery Train, Coffee & Cigarettes)
Starring: Bill Murray, Jeffrey Wright, Julie Delpy, Sharon Stone

Jim Jarmusch has a reputation as the lone rebel director, shooting and splicing his art films under the menacing shadow of corporate Hollywood. Note that Jarmusch loves that reputation and does everything he can to promote it. Like any other director, though, I’ll bet he’d rather make a film with more money and the freedom that brings. With that aside however, let’s talk Broken Flowers. I liked this film. I did not love this film. It’s a pleasant, enjoyable little tale about an aging lothario finding old flames in search of the son he never knew he had. He doesn’t find anything, and that’s supposed to be informative. Bill Murray is getting quite a bit of good press for his performance in this film. I’m in the opposition on this one, however. Most of my dislike of his character comes down to the screenplay. I simply didn’t believe that the sad sack shown to me on screen was a ladies man. Nothing rang true to me about his character. He simply seemed false to me. Despite this rather significant flaw (seeing as how Murray is the story), it was still pleasant to watch and entertaining. For positives, I have to note Sharon Stone who gives a fine performance in a small role as an ex-flame, and Jeffrey Wright who provides much of the comedy as Murray’s buddy.

Standouts: Quirky direction, and some of the supporting actors.
Blowouts: Bill Murray and the main character. I did not believe this story, although I still enjoyed it.

Grade: B

8/19/2005

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home