Sunday, January 05, 2003

THE MATRIX REVOLUTIONS

Director: Andy & Larry Wachowski (Bound)
Starring: Keanu Reeves, Carrie-Anne Moss, Lawrence Fishburne, more

So it turns out … that I was watching a video game. I was watching one of the better video game ever made, but with its reams of dime-store philosophy and climactic shot after climactic shot (after climactic shot) there's no denying that this was a Playstation game. As such, I can't really rate it as an exceptional movie.

The story was about humans fighting machines, but everything was just so overdone that it simply doesn't resonate as being particularly relevant to humanity. I wasn't watching the battle for supremecy between fragile human dream traits against our cold mechanical reality (thematically like Star Wars), although obviously that's what the writers/directors were going for. Believe me, they missed their goal, significantly. However, and these are big caveats, this movie was quite well shot and visually interesting. The movie was also largely entertaining and enjoyable. Yes, this movie failed as anything like art, but I think it did succeed as big-budget Hollywood action entertainment. The legacy of Star Wars and Independence Day lives on, and, perhaps sadly, I gotta admit I kinda liked it.

Standouts: Fairly fun and entertaining.
Blowouts: Overdone and pompously self-referencial for a stupid action flick.

Grade: B

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home