Sunday, January 05, 2003

MYSTIC RIVER

Director: Clint Eastwood (Unforgiven, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, Firefox)
Starring: Sean Penn, Tim Robbins, Kevin Bacon, Lawrence Fishburne, more

I could arouse real anger among some people if they read this, but I liked the previous Clint Eastwood film MIDNIGHT IN THE GARDEN OF GOOD AND EVIL quite a lot better than this movie. That really isn't to detract from this film, but I just don't rate it as highly as does some of the major criticism.

There's no doubt that his was a fine film, well done in many ways. Unfortunately, I came into it after hearing much truly extraordinary praise. The film simply didn't live up to the excessive hype for me. It was a standard detective story, albeit one done well. Despite the fact that I didn't like it as well as some others, I don't want to suggest that it's a bad movie. It probably just won't be a top ten film for me (unless the December releases really fall flat).

Of particular note in this film was the acting. It was quality all-around. My favorites were Tim Robbins, as the middle-aged mess of a man that is the result of his adolescent experience with sexual abuse and Lawrence Fishburn in a supporting role as one of the detectives. They both gave quite possibly the best performances I've ever seen from either of them. Sean Penn did a very good job in an emotionally powerful role (lots of crying and screaming and ... emoting), although frankly I think he'll get more praise than his performance deserves. It was a "showy" role, rather than a great one. Finally, Kevin Bacon did a fine job as Kevin Bacon playing a detective.

I think the plot was intended to be a twister, but it unfortunately, it was all rather well advertised. I should note the professional direction that Clint Eastwood gave to the affair. In contrast with Sean Penn's flamboyant acting, the direction was intentionally and obviously flat - to good effect. There was little camera movement and few effects. It allowed Penn and others to take over the story with their acting. Again, a well done movie, but perhaps not to the degree that most criticism seems to indicate.

Standouts: Powerful, emotion-filled, rant-filled acting.
Blowouts: Just not as compelling as I had hoped. I really didn't care that much about the characters.

Grade: B+

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home