Sunday, January 05, 2003

MATCHSTICK MEN

Director: Ridley Scott (Alien, Thelma and Louise, Gladiator, many more)
Starring: Nicolas Cage, Sam Rockwell, Alison Lohman

I felt really awful after watching this movie, but since that is what it was trying for, I guess that's probably a good thing. This film shows us an extremely likable and interesting confidence man, gives him hope and a new daughter and a chance to overcome his phobias, and snatches it all away from him in one fell swoop. The story was an emotional roller coaster as we attach to the con-man, watch him grow and then have to suffer through the final twist as he, himself, gets conned, losing all he gained. The fact that the film has so much power over this particular viewer says a lot about its quality. I was surprised at just how good of film this was. Yes, I've destroyed the surprise twist for you at the end, but I don't care. I don't think I can talk about the story without noting it.

Nicholas Cage, Sam Rockwell, and Alison Lohman all gave excellent performances as the phobia-ridden con-man, his sleazy partner and the lovable daughter, with both Cage and Rockwell being especially notable. The story and direction were professionally well done, although they were quite purposefully not showy. Ridley Scott is a quality director and he correctly surmised that this film lived in its actors. It is not an artistic masterpiece. There is no serious theme to be found. It's just an extremely well done crime caper, of sorts. Although the important parts lay entirely with the relationships of the characters.

I will also add that I initially found the final twist to be awkwardly tacked on to this film, but in retrospect I believe I found it so, simply because I cared so much for Nicholas Cage's character and didn't want to see him hurt. I don't know if it really added to the quality of the movie, but I don't think it really hurt it either. Regardless, this is an excellent movie.

Standouts: Acting - Cage, Rockwell and Lohman were all extraordinarily good.
Blowouts: Me, since I ruined the twist for you. I suck.

Grade: A

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home