Saturday, February 05, 2005

The Best of the 1990s: 31 - 40

31) FORREST GUMP
Director: Robert Zemeckis
I'm not supposed to like this in our age of irony. I've never really heard an argument against the quality of this movie that that boiled down to more than "it's not cool. I hope we can agree that that's not the greatest of arguments. Personally, I think it's a touching, heartfelt, engrossing and enjoyable film. Enough said.

32) GODS AND MONSTERS
Director: Bill Condon
A really good movie about a lot more than just homosexuality. Ian McKellen fits this character like a glove.

33) TITANIC
Director: James Cameron
I'm still up in the air on this one. Pros: Gorgeous spectacle, sweet love story, grand backdrop. Cons: I didn't really like Leonardo very much in the film. I don't care whether the story was cheesy or not. I do care whether I found the characters appealing and I don't know if I did. About a billion people disagree with me however. I'll accept that that makes me wrong. Very wrong.

34) THE INSIDER
Director: Michael Mann
A great topical movie. Perhaps Russel Crowe's best acting job, and that's saying a lot as he's currently one of the best out there.

35) THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
Director: Frank Darabont
Very much in the Forrest Gumpian tradition: Simple, sweet, straightforward. It's also engrossing and incredibly enjoyable to watch and those are the absolute keys to a good flick.

36) GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS
Director: James Foley
The best dialog in years was a combination of David Mamet's extraordinary screenplay and some absoutely marvelous acting. It's all in the words, the whole story.

37) THE BIRDCAGE
Director: Mike Nichols
Funniest movie of the decade, bar none. This is comedic genius on all levels.

38) THE ENGLISH PATIENT
Director: Anthony Minghella
Lush and sweeping (whatever that might mean), this epic love story (I have no idea what that means) is a great one.

39) JERRY MAGUIRE
Director: Cameron Crowe
There simply aren't many films as uplifting as this. You can always tell a story that's heartfelt from one filled with lies, and this one was straight from the heart.

40) LONE STAR
Director: John Sayles
Chris Cooper is a great actor and this is one of Sayles best films, if not the best. I tend to vote Matewan in that regard, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

11/30/2005

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home