Thursday, January 01, 2004

MONSIEUR IBRAHIM (DVD)

Director: Francois Dupeyron (notable French film director, writer)
Starring: Omar Sharif, Pierre Bolanger

Omar Sharif was an absolutely terrific actor. I say "was" because he's always been an actor of the past for me, as I'd not seen him in a new production prior to this film. I know him only from his Lawrence of Arabia and Dr. Zhivago days. Here, however, he holds together a sad and delightful French film about a lost Jewish boy and the quiet, but astonishing old Arab shopkeeper who adopts him (played by Omar of course). It is gloriously French in every way, dramatic and sensuous, but Omar's calm presence manages to temper all of this, resulting in a sweet, reaffirming little film that I enjoyed much.

Standouts: Slow serenity caught on film. Nice direction capturing its peaceful essence.
Blowouts: Not terribly engrossing. Sadly, it will be a forgettable film.

Grade: B+

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home