Friday, July 07, 2006

A GET WELL CARD TO THE EBERT

I grew up watching Siskel and Ebert. Well, at least I have some fond memories of watching their show. They were always shown opposite info-mercials on lazy Sunday afternoons, and were the perfect compliment to the overstuffed sleepy feeling I'd have at that time. We'd visit Grandma, eat far too much, and laze about for a while watching Siskel and Ebert call each other idiots because one or the other liked Top Gun. I seem to recall switching to their show immediately after reruns of The Wild Wild West, another bit of nostalgia I'll wax rhapsodic about some other time.

Anyway, Ebert was the better reviewer (as the Pulitzer he won should attest), but Siskel was probably the more engaging personality. I already miss Mr. Siskel (sorry Roeper, I'm sure you're a fine reviewer, but for me you're simply a placeholder on the show), and I'll miss Mr. Ebert when he's gone.

But I hope I won't have to miss him for some years to come. Get well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home