Tuesday, April 25, 2006

THANK YOU FOR SMOKING

Director: Jason Reitman (no major film work, a few low-budget films)
Starring: Aaron Eckhart, Maria Bello, Rob Lowe, Sam Elliott, more

I had very precise and extensive preconceptions of Thank You For Smoking before walking into the theater. Of course everyone has some notion of what they're going to see, and occasionally they have a notion of 'how' they're going to see it. I just *knew* going in that this film would be an obvious and inane satire on the tobacco lobby, a Saturday Night Live skit. I just knew that this film was was going to be a standard around which our current crop of prohibitionists could ralley.

I see these new Carry Nations everywhere anymore. Just like in the temperance movement, they're predominantly woman (but by no means exclusively), and just like before they're SURE. They're absolutely positively, nearly insanely, self-confident that you and I would be better off if they could make our decisions for us. Then it was drinking, now it's smoking. Let it be known that I more or less dislike these types. Let it be known that I was fully prepared to dislike this movie for pandering to their beliefs. Let it also be known that this movie was much smarter than I believed it could be. It greatly surprised me. This movie was not an obvious whitewash of smokers. It was a funny, interesting, and surprisingly subtle dark comedy. Yes, it showed quite convincingly that smoking is bad for you, but (Thank God!) this is not what this film is about. It was about the flaws in the methods and attitudes of those on either side of the smoking divide. Wonderfully, it's also just plain funny and clever and endearing.

The film follows Nick Taylor (Eckhart), the chief lobbyist for big tobacco. He is the face that debates cancer-ridden children on daytime talk shows. He debates tree-hugging Vermont Senators. He convinces Hollywood to put cigarettes back in movies. This man is awful, right? That's certainly what I thought going in - that this man would be a caricature. Someone that the true-believers could direct their anti-smoking venom at. This couldn't be further from the truth. Nick Taylor is an engaging, interesting, more or less good guy dad. There are a million-and-one Nick Taylors filling every sales and marketing position in America. Most aren't as charming, but you get the point.

In the end, Nick decides that he can't work for big tobacco anymore, but most wonderfully in my opinion is the way that happens. It's not some epiphany. "Oh, my god, smoking's horrible. How can I support it?" No, rather it's a balanced, humorous journey that includes anti-smoking terrorists kidnapping him, and government proposals to edit out all images of smoking in past films. I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and highly recommend it.

I will make a bet that if you are virulently anti-smoking, that you will not like this film a great deal. You'll sort of like it, but you'll be angry that the film is not angry. I still suggest you see it, however. As for me, I very much enjoyed this film.

Standouts: A *very* strong script and acting for a comedy. Unique style.
Blowouts: It's no masterpiece, just a very good flick.

Grade: A-

1 Comments:

At 5:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

 

Post a Comment

<< Home