Thursday, February 16, 2006

OSCAR SEASON - Best Acting

And now on to Bri's annual acting awards. Not my Oscar predictions, just who I'd be voting for if they saw fit to give me a ballot. Again note that I haven't seen every performance worthy of a nomination. But of what I have seen, these are the standouts:

Best Actor:
5) Jeff Daniels - THE SQUID AND THE WHALE
Daniels does a superb job as a arrogant fool who fancies himself an intellectual.
4) Russell Crowe - CINDERELLA MAN
Crowe deserves more attention than he's gotten for his sweet-natured depression-era boxer.
3) Phillip Seymour Hoffman - CAPOTE
I was at first entranced by Hoffman's intriguing portrayel. Unfortunately, by the end of the film I could care less about his self-involved and affected Truman Capote.
2) Heath Ledger - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
It's got to be difficult to make such a repressed persona quite so affecting for the audience. Ledger succeeded.
1) Joaquin Phoenix - WALK THE LINE
A powerful performance as Johnny Cash that carried the entire film. And he didn't even lip sync.

Best Actress:
5) Renee Zellwegger - CINDERELLA MAN
A good if not exceptional performance as a good person struggling through bad times.
4) Keira Knightley - PRIDE AND PREJUDICE
She carried the entre movie. More a "movie star" quality performance than a great character creation.
3) Scarlett Johansson - MATCH POINT
A great job as the "other woman" in Woody Allens thriller.
2) Charlize Theron - NORTH COUNTRY
Another very good performance by Theron as a victim of harrassment.
1) Reese Witherspoon - WALK THE LINE
As June Carter Cash, Witherspoon easily rises up to meet Joaquin Phoenix' great performance.

Best Supporting Actor:
5) Randy Quaid - BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN
4) William Hurt - A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE
3) Al Pacino - THE MERCHANT OF VENICE
2) George Clooney - SYRIANA
1) Paul Giamatti - CINDERELLA MAN

Best Supporting Actress:
5) Sharon Stone - BROKEN FLOWERS
4) Amy Adams - JUNEBUG
3) Catherine Keener - CAPOTE
2) Frances McDormand - NORTH COUNTRY
1) Rachel Weisz - THE CONSTANT GARDENER

5 Comments:

At 7:02 AM, Blogger An Urban Femme said...

Ok...I've been waiting with bated breath to read your impression of the Oscar Winners. Guess I'll just have to wait a little longer. In the meantime, I imagine I can read about how crap Flight Plan was...though it doesn't take a genius to know how crap Flight Plan was... ;)

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger Brian said...

Sorry, I don't update this as much as I should. I didn't really realize I had a readership ...

:)

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger An Urban Femme said...

Ha! Yes, yes you do ;) Now to read about this Crash controversy...

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger An Urban Femme said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:02 AM, Blogger An Urban Femme said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home