Wednesday, January 05, 2005

A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE

Director: David Cronenberg (The Fly, M Butterfly, eXistenZ)
Starring: Viggo Mortenson, Maria Bello, Ed Harris, William Hurt

This film reminded me of Unfaithful, the critically acclaimed pseudo hit of 2002 that propelled Diane Lane into the People’s 100 sexiest stars lists. It wasn’t the plot details that reminded me of that movie. It wasn’t the theme. It wasn’t the characters, or the action, or the visual style. Nope. For lack of a better description, I’ll call it Brainy Hollywood-itude. Behind this film I see smart people looking for a buck, but not entirely willing to sell every last piece of their rapidly depleting motion-picture soul.

Let me explain. Unfaithful was a critical darling that I really disliked. I found it to be a solid good script that nonetheless existed at its heart to show sexy people getting it on. I liked this film better than Unfaithful, but I still don’t quite agree with the majority of critics who seemed to feel that this story massively succeeded as both an engaging story and as a critique on "The History of Violence".

I do agree that this was a solid action/drama flick. A 'dram-action' if you will. It was well written on that level, enjoyable, well acted and engaging. I don’t agree that the thematic material was particularly strong, however.

In quick summarization, Viggo Mortenson is a mob killer who has given up the life to become a small town husband and father. He forgets the old, bad life entirely. But one day a couple of hoodlums attempt to shoot up his diner in Nowhereburg, Indiana. He whacks them something good, and becomes a media darling in the process. Unfortunately, this notoriety brings him to the attention to his old enemies who of course come to get him. That’s some nice irony I will admit. Like I said, I found the film enjoyable on this level.

I should note that I really enjoyed the performances of all 4 of the main actors, especially Ed Harris and William Hurt as the mob baddies. Actually, I enjoyed all 5 of the main characters, if you include Viggo’s son, the nerdy kid who eventually learns that beating the school bully up is the right thing to do (according to the film’s morality at least).

“Huh”, you say? The solution to all our problems is to make sure we posses the awesome Hollywood action skills of Viggo Mortenson? Yep, that’s right. That’s what I get thematically from this film. That violence in society is pervasive. We can’t escape it by hiding. Being a peacenik will only encourage the enemy. Toughen up, mess up your enemies something good, and you’ll live happily ever after.

So, I really think that that's awful thematic material, just awful. And I don’t just mean morally, I mean intellectually. Everyone knows that pulling out a gun in an argument is quite rarely the right response. Actually, let me rephrase: Most everyone knows that …

Okay, I doubt that the filmakers really had that as their intended moral to the story, but it was the result nonetheless. I give the film credit for trying, but it didn't quite succeed. Also I had a number of quibbles that really let me down. The most notable of these were two totally gratuitous sex scenes. They didn't add anything to the movie that couldn't have been added in a much better way. Oh well, sex sells, just like violence.

Standouts: Ed Harris and William Hurt as the bad guys, and an enjoyable action story.
Blowouts: It tried to talk about violence in society, but I don’t think it said much worthwhile.

Grade: B-

12/08/2005

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home