Tuesday, January 25, 2005

VERA DRAKE

Director: Mike Leigh (long UK film + TV career, Topsy Turvey)
Starring: Imelda Staunton, Richard Graham, more

A sweet, touching, and maddeningly true story about a plump little cleaning woman/abortionist. She finds out in the end that society will do very bad things to good people without really thinking about it. Society always has. It's very easy for me to comdemn someone to jailtime when I'm free to walk the streets. It's very easy for me to not think about people who are struggling, if I am not. It's easy for me to wail to the rafters that abortion is a sin, when I am not a young pregnant girl. Society likes "easy", and sometimes good people suffer for it.

Standouts: Theme and plot, well done.
Blowouts: Not really all that entertaining. Won't warrant much repeat viewing.

Grade: A-

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home